Tuesday, April 28, 2015

This Ones for the Girls




This Ones for the Girls





My whole life I have been a strong independent women, and I definitely don’t need anybody or a man for that matter of fact to save me. Okay, maybe I’m not that independent but I am a part of the strong women community and we can do for ourselves whatever our male counterparts can do for themselves, and maybe some more. So my question is why won’t Hollywood give us our due credit. Where are our female superhero movies, we can save the world? Why must we always be portrayed as a worrisome nuisance to our male counter parts who are always having to save us? 

Maybe I'm a little biased towards how great our abilities are, and would love to see them brought to us on the big screen. I believe that a wonder woman movie would make a huge impact, she is a strong woman with many abilities that allow her to take care of herself, and she has empowering and intimidating presence as well as physique which is another trait that shows that she can hold her own. This is what I think it comes down to in making a female super hero movie, having the best candidate to really show our strength, and will send a strong message to our women.





A little girl by the name of Rowan wrote a ‘angry’ letter to the DC comics people, as she should, frustrated with the lack of female superheroes we have being represented on the big screen. She goes on to say, “I’m a girl, and I’m upset because there aren’t very many girl super heroes or movies or comics from DC. I love your comics but I’d love them a whole lot more if there were more girls. I asked a lot of people I know whether they watched movies, or read comic books where girls were the main characters and they all said yes. Please do something about this, because girls read comics too.’ She’s only 11, but shoot, someone had to say it and bring it to light.  






Growing up I’d always see cartoons or movies of Superman, Batman, The justice league, Hulk, Spider-man, Wolverine, Thor, Iron man and the list goes on and on, but with the same consistent concept of a male super hero. Each movie has the same scheme, the helpless damsel in distress finds herself in some sort of sticky situation and the superhero must come to the rescue, but obviously the movie director forgot to factor in us women’s resilience and the fact that we probably don’t even need saving. It’s not that their isn’t female super hero's, Wonder woman is the most strong and best representation of a women who can take care of herself! But Hollywood fails to put these women into action on the big screen. We have many young women who have been trained into obedience of what the world asks of them the common stereotype that you are supposed to always be protected and taken care of, and that you are to be a care taker of your children and let the men do the work, which in most cases is right but this doesn’t mean that we aren’t strong and that we can’t look after ourselves. 






Back to what I was saying about women superhero’s and to touch on the influence they have, because not only would that strengthen women’s conviction in her ability to take care of herself and for all the young boys to see to see this on a big screen would help culture views and biases that start from a young age, These young boys/men need to understand that women are in the same playing field in all aspects of life and if you don’t act right, a women could kick your butt. It’s crucial that we start to have feature films, where we empower them and also recognize there beauty, letting them exemplify themselves as they are not hiding what is so great about them. We must let women be who they want to be as it is said by actress Eliza Dushku, to truly empower our women which has been an issue we must let them be as sexy or sexy as they want to be, as they are powerful and independent. So what women will step forward and play the roles of these pivotal female superhero's, don’t be shy cause if we don’t have any takers soon I may have to step up and do it. Lets set the bar high for a future women who will run this country, that they can be confident with who they are and that they are strong leaders.





6 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I too would read the DC comics with all the male superheros and I never saw any woman superheros! Or, if there were women characters then it was someone like Cat Woman but she was always portrayed as Batman's little side show. So it seems that the stereotype of women needing to be taken care of because we are all porcelain dolls is all around us. I agree that this needs to be put to a stop. I don't need a man at my side constantly teaching me how to walk on two feet because I've been doing it by myself for 19 years! I really enjoyed the read, and I'd make that first step with you to show how women can handle themselves without a male counterpart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been in to comics, which makes me find this blog post incredibly interesting. If there were more female power characters, would I have read comics as a child? I am glad that you brought this view point to my, and others attention. My only criticism is that three of your multimedia parts don't have any connection to what you wrote, and they shouldn't. I think that adding any more examples of how women are represented besides comics would be too much and too confusing so maybe just take those three out and see about adding any more comic ones or just have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting blog to me even though i'm not really in to comics. I never realized how women have been portrayed in comics until after reading about it. The stereotype of women is still going on in this society and there needs to be an end to it. The only thing i'd say, would be adding more examples of Women. Other than that, great use of visual aid and i enjoyed the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that this may be a personal stylistic choice, but I suggest breaking up your blog post into paragraphs to make it easier and more appealing to read, because personally, when I first opened your blog, I almost didn't read it because it seemed really long. Nevertheless I did read it, and I do agree with your point saying that Hollywood does not produce enough female superheroes. BUT I also have to add that they are currently working on a Wonder Woman movie, I believe they casted Gal Gadot to play her, I not sure about this, but I guess Hollywood is starting to notice these angry fans that demand a woman superhero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really been into comic books, but I have watched a few superhero movies. And I agree with your perspective that there should be more female superheros or just powerful females that aren't portrayed and judged for being "bitchy." It's important to have strong female characters in films, TV and just life in general. I like your media as well, however, it could have been incorporated into your blog post a little bit more. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree there should be more female superheroes within comic books. Strong female characters are very important for the young girls who read these kinds of comics. Women need to show signs of empowerment and a strong woman character could begin to achieve that. I thought your post was well done I agree with Alaena that there could have been a bit more media involved but overall great job!

    ReplyDelete