Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How Colorful is the Oscars?



      Everyone knows that the Oscars is a huge show that we all look forward to each year. The films that we watch and the actors that we love are all nominated for the biggest award in the entertainment industry and we get to be apart of that experience and predict and celebrate right along with them in the company of our own homes. A few days after the show, is when the complaining starts with who was more deserving and who should’ve won. This year, a lot of that complaining was directed toward racism. There were several films that were all films of color and were stories that I myself, very much enjoyed. Some fiction and others, real life events from inspiring African Americans who want to share their stories and hope to make an impact on the world. After this year’s show there were negative complaints toward the Academy, also known as the prime voters of the actors and films, that these films and the actors in them, were not recognized in the way that they should be. I will give an example with the film Selma. This is a true African American story and a spectacular film that received great reviews. However, it was only nominated for Best Picture, which in my opinion is one of the simpler categories that a film can fall into. I can see where people think that the film deserved more and was not recognized in the way that it should’ve been, along with the actors that play in it because it is based on a true story and inspires people and sends incredible messages to people all across the globe.
      Even through all of these complaints and views on which films should’ve won certain awards, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and too much thought is put into race and gender and how people are affected by it. It is a topic that is taken too personally. People say that 75% of the Academy voters are white and that is the answer to these films like Selma, not receiving the attention that it deserves. These are opinions, not facts, as the race and gender category is mostly opinionated anyway and based on feelings. I can say that there were white films that I enjoyed that did not receive the attention that they deserved, but the amount of white films that exceed African American films, is what gives so much power to the gender and racial arguments and complaints.

      There is no way of knowing how racist the Academy is. The voters change every year and the competition just to be nominated is something that we don’t see and is much bigger than we imagine. As I said before, this is mainly an opinionated topic and yes, statistics from previous shows many show us gender comparisons, but people form their own opinions on how racist the show is based on those stats as well. There is really no conclusion as to how it should be seen or conducted, but if you went all the way up to the head of the show, that would be an opinion as well.



13 comments:

  1. I really liked your review of how the Oscars work. I have never really looked into the Oscars that deeply when watching it on TV. I find it very eye opening how you talk about how the films that are based on African American films don't receive as much credit as they deserve. I definitely agree with you opinion, but I think it would be cool if you used more examples to explain your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely noticed the racial division in last years Oscars. There was maybe one filmed that was recognized for its outstanding achievements with an African American lead role. All of the rest of the nominations had predominantly white characters. We like to say that our society is not racist anymore, but the fact of the matter is that we are. There are still racial divisions in our society in everything we do. It's crazy to actually see it through something like the Oscars though, because it becomes real to us that these things are still happening. It's hard with the Oscars though because it is hugely based on opinion, and no one was really meaning to be "racist" by not nominating African American lead movies, but it just came off that way to the rest of the society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't something I really think of, so thanks for discussing it. We often here about racist acts by people of power, but not by groups of people or among the affluent minority members. I think your description of the issue is good but perhaps you could dive deeper on the institutional racism taking place. Also, your second multimedia unit seems contradictory to your point, but leads me to think that perhaps you should also address those minorities and blacks who do win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really looked at the Oscars and thought about how racism or race in general could affect their decision. It's easy to say that race doesn't play a role in the Academy's decision, but it probably does. I'm sure it's not the biggest factor, but it still is there. I never saw Selma, so I can't tell you whether or not I think it deserved a better award than it received. However, I know that there were a few movies I thought didn't deserve their awards. Racism, whether subtle or not, still exists in this country and plays an every day role in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never thought about it like that, but I agree with your opinion. Even though it is all based on opinion, your description for it was really good. There is still racism in our society, because it is expressed off of the media. The only thing i'd say is maybe explain your opinions more, other than than i enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really keep up with the Oscars, therefore I don't really know the issues that lie in it. But this was a really critique on one of the most prestigious award shows of all time. I honestly thought that the Oscars was done fairly, didn't know there was a racial divide. I really liked this critique. One thing that I suggest rephrasing is the word choice. Maybe instead of saying that people complained, maybe use another word like protest or criticize, because complain just sounds like you don't agree, whereas using words like protest or criticize it makes it sound like people are against the racial divide, and have evidence to support that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a tough issue because it is not racist to dislike a film. What is racist is disliking a movie because It was made by a certain ethnicity. Im not positive that the Oscars is guilty of doing this, but the evidence is amounting in that direction. I hope next year they prove us wrong. I think another place to look into is how individual actors are treated in the industry. In my opinion that is where racism is the most common. Especially in regards to actors and actress who are just starting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally never usually watch the Oscars, however, I can imagine the amount of racism present in the selections for certain titles and which films even get voted on. I find it really interesting that you brought this to light and I think it could be argued about many of the award shows that take place on television. It's really messed up how certain predominately white films get so much more praise and attention as opposed to the amount of black or other films and television.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love awards shows and I always watch them when they come on each season. Awards show can be very tricky when dealing with race because everything gets backlash. I really liked this blog post. I haven't seen Selma so I agree with Jon that I can't tell you whether or not it deserved an award. Overall, great job on this blog post. I think this topic is very prevalent in today's society. Great job but maybe a bit more use of media would have helped this blog post even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's an absolute certain that race and gender issues need to be discussed more, not less, frequently. Societal problems don't go away by ignoring them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not think that personal preference of whether someone likes or dislikes a film is racist. I also think that in cases of personal preference, it is inevitable that the racism is going to get brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not think that personal preference of whether someone likes or dislikes a film is racist. I also think that in cases of personal preference, it is inevitable that the racism is going to get brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did hear a little talk about the racism drama, and agree some movies like Selma should have gotten more recognition but you truly never know if the judges are racist or just weren't a fan of the movies. Recently every thing has been turned into a racism issue with the whole cops killing innocent African Americans so maybe it is part of that hype. Sadly I think these type of problems will always be around.

    ReplyDelete